"...to reduce the burden of fire losses on life and property by providing the highest quality of scientifically-based education, research and outreach in fire protection engineering, and in fire-related safety, health and environmental issues."
Our Educational Objectives
In order to fulfill the missions of the Department of Fire Protection Engineering, the Clark School and the University of Maryland, as well as to serve the major constituencies identified for the program, the following program educational objectives have been developed. The faculty established these educational objectives in consultation with members of the various constituencies. The educational objectives of the undergraduate program in Fire Protection Engineering are to produce graduates who:
- Practice fire protection engineering regionally, nationally and internationally in a broad range of modern professional settings
- Pursue advanced studies in fire protection engineering or related fields
- Actively participate in the development of engineering decisions on societal, environmental, economic and safety issues at the local or global levels
- Achieve professional certification and licensure
- Maintain continual professional competency and practice ethically