FPE at a Glance
Did you know …
- The University of Maryland has the only accredited FPE department in the U.S.
- FPE graduates are highly sought by employers
- FPE’s are among the highest paid of all engineers
- FPE is a challenging, dynamic field
- FPE’s get involved in:
» Fire forensics
» Research and development
» Computer simulations of fire behavior, smoke movement,evacuation and structural response
What is Fire Protection Engineering?
Fire Protection Engineering provides the sophisticated technical tools needed to safeguard lives and property from fire.
Left: Water mist nozzles
Computer simulation, room fire
FPE Department founded in 1956
About the Program
- Only ABET accredited undergraduate FPE program in the U.S.
- One of only two graduate programs in the country
- Renowned faculty with professional experience, many are licensed PE’s
- Small department: Get to know faculty and students
- Hands-on projects and experiments
|above: Small-scale experiment of 96th floor of World Trade Center||above: Carpet experiment|
Experiment on Flames
Wide range of internships/co-ops available. Scholarships available In-state tuition possible for students from southern region through Academic Common Market.
- More jobs than qualified people to fill them (200 jobs/yr compared to approx. 80 FPE graduates)
- Starting salaries $50,000-55,000
Recent employers include:
If you would like more information on joining Maryland students and faculty studying fire protection engineering at a top-ranked, major university:
- Contact Dr. Jim Milke, Chair at 301-405-3995 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arrange a visit and tour of the department facilities. Learn more about engineering at UMD at information sessions, Fridays, 1-2 pm.
- See the Clark School Prospective Undergraduate page for more details.
We look forward to hearing from you!